Monday, July 6, 2009

Around the corner again...

Grab yer hats folks here comes the next giant loop on the Blob Ride. The last chemos we tried just didn't do the job completely. They tried, but led to some even nastier side effects than the cancer caused! I have now had breast cancer that has pretended to be all sorts of things...as of right now, it is trying to be several forms of meningitis working on my spinal lymph fluids. We 've knocked that away but the next step is to have a small "shunt" or valve put into my skull and twice a week I will have chemo "shot" by injection into the shunt. So tomorrow morning, Roger will deliver me to the hospital in Roanoke (about 1 hour away) where noon-ish a surgeon will do one of these fairly routine stent insertions. They'll keep me overnight (to watch as I'm high risk for infection) and send me home the next day. Handily, sister Gail lives just a few blocks from the hospital, so she and Roger will trade off lookn after me as much as needs be....then after i get settled in back home, the "routine" will be to go to the same clinic I've been going to and twice weekly have th chemo shot in.

Hope this is clear as mudd to you all as it is to me. We'll keep you posted on any changes, but for now, I'm going to assume No News Is Good News!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Still sounding very positive. I'm sure it's working in your favor after all this time. I love you,Ann and I'll say a prayer for you.
Your sister in God,
Marianne

Cari said...

Go well, stay well, dear friend. I have learned so much from you about patience and a bright spirit. Thanks for keeping us up to date; I know it isn't easy for you, and so I appreciate every stroke of your keyboarding fingers.

noelB said...

Hope all is going as well as possible (or even better). Don't let those wicked cells get you down - shunt them off into oblivion!!
Lots of love,
Noel (Tasmania)

Kelly said...

Well, I dare you to call yourself empty-headed now! Apparently there is so much stuff in there, they are having to drain some off so they can fit more in!!!

I remain your humble servant ready to whisk you wherever you need, be it Dr. H's or Dairy Queen (althought the latter is preferred).

Thank you for keeping us in the loop - I know it hasn't been easy with the neuropathy! Every keyboard stroke is precious!

Love you!
Kelly

Cheryl said...

Dear Ann,

Thinking of you today with love and praying the peace of God for you and your family. If I had a magic wand I'd have burned the thing out today sending good stuff your way. Thanks for your love, your honesty, and your friendship.

:-) Cheryl

kayfriend said...

Love this blog! Now we can hear the day to day battle with those damn cancer cells! The battle is on and you are an amazing warrior. You are teaching me so much about endurance and will. My thoughts and prayers are with you always, Ann.
We are in Mt Gretna for two weeks trying to relax. Enjoying the blessed fabulous weather, catching up on our reading, pleasure bike riding, and enduring challenging crazy family scrabble competitions! HA!
I hope the chemo shunt gives you some respite. I am thinking about you everyday, Ann.

Robin said...

Dear Annie-

Hope all went well today and you are home eating chocolate. Hugs and love sent your way.

Your old buddy.
Love,
Robin

Unknown said...

Part of my soul goes with you.
Chemosabe